Gilsland to Birdoswald Walk Photo
Attractions close by Gilsland are:
Club 1 mile east
Thirlwall Castle 1 miles east
Birdoswald Roman Fort 2 miles
Lanercost Priory 6 miles west
From 122 - Hadrian's Wall is built between
Newcastle in the east and Carlisle in the
Milecastle 48, or now known as Poltcross
Burn Milecastle, is built in the area of
1603 - first recording of the estate where
Gilsland Hall Hotel is now situated, named
Gilsland village no doubt grew by the
estate as estates employed many workers.
1745/46 - Jacobite rebellion battles were
the last in Britain, leading to a peaceful
country, ending many centuries of conflict
along the England - Scotland border.
1760s - first hotel built on Shaw's Estate
named Shaw's Hotel.
1787 - Robert Burns' the Scottish poet
visits Shaw's Hotel at Gilsland.
1797 - the novelist Walter Scott visited
Shaw's Hotel and Popping Stone and met his
wife Miss Carpenter.
1837 - the Carlisle to Newcastle railway
opened with the Gilsland station situated on
the east side of the village, originally
named Rosehill Railway Station.
1851 - St Mary Magdalene Church by the
Shaw's Hotel is built.
1859 - Shaw's Hotel is destroyed by fire.
It was rebuilt larger soon after.
1869 - Gilsland Methodist Church is built
in the village centre.
1893 - Shaw's Hotel is taken over and
renamed Gilsland Spa Hotel.
1967 - Gilsland Train Station is
2016 - Gilsland Spa Hotel is renamed
Gilsland Hall Hotel.